The House from "The Baronial Halls of England," 1881.
Earlier Houses: There was a Benedictine priory of nuns here until from the 12th until the 16th century. Parts of the priory were incoporated into the 16th century manor house, all of which was left as a romantic ruin when the 19th century house was built nearby.
Built / Designed For: James Dugdale
House & Family History: Wroxall Abbey was purchased in 1544 by Robert Burgoyne, commissioner for the Dissolution of the Monasteries in Warwickshire. Burgoyne, using stone from the old priory buildings, built a house he named The Abbey. In 1713 Sir Christopher Wren purchased Wroxall as his country seat. The great architect remodeled the church, where five generations of the Wren family are commemorated today. From 1936, until its closing in 1995, the House was home to Wroxall Abbey School for Girls. In 2001 the property was acquired by Wroxall Abbey Estate Ltd., who operate the House today as a hotel.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 155, 1853.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Robert Burgoyne, 16th century. Sir Christopher Wren, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: James Dugdale, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today Wroxall Abbey Hotel