The second house (demolished) from an 1819 engraving. This image is in the public domain.
Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house on the site of the 18th century Neoclassical house.
Built / Designed For: John Baskervyle Glegg
House Replaced By: The 18th century Neoclassical style house (the second house) that is the primary focus of this record was demolished in 1963 and replaced by a smaller house (the third house), which was, in turn, demolished and replaced by a large neo-Georgian style house (the fourth house) in the late 20th century.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 80, 1853.
Title: Guide to the Country Houses of the North-West, A
Author: Robinson, John Martin
Year Published: 1991
Reference: pg. 81
Publisher: London: Constable and Company Limited
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT FIRST HOUSE: William de Withington, 13th century. Hathersage family. Longford family. Sir Nicholas Mosley, 1596-1612; Rowland Mosley, 1612-17. SEATED AT SECOND HOUSE: John Baskervyle Glegg, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No