DiCamillo Companion

Wilton Castle

  • Earlier Houses: The Bulmer family were granted a license to fortify their manor house in 1210; this medieval house was damaged in the Civil War and made uninhabitable. The remains of the house were demolished in the early 19th century when the current house was built.

    House & Family History: The Wilton Estate was purchased circa 1806 by John Lowther of Swillington, brother of the Earl of Lonsdale. Lowther demolished the remains of the Medieval castle and built, in about 1810, the current Gothick style house. The 15-bay front façade has a four-story castellated tower at the center flanked by castellated and gabled bays and turrets and five-bay two-story wings. The Lowthers sold Wilton to Imperial Chemical Industries in 1945. ICI used the house for offices and developed the park as a golf course for their staff. ICI sold the estate in 1999, after which Wilton was developed as flats and the golf club was sold to its members.

  • Architect: Robert Smirke

    Date: Circa 1810
    Designed: Gothick style house for John Lowther

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. IV, 1828.

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Bulmer family, 13th century until 1806? SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Bulmer family, 1806-1945; Sir John Lowther, 1st Bt., 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No