The House from a 1913 postcard
House & Family History: Whitburn was the Williamson family seat after the destruction by fire of Monkwearmouth Hall in 1790. Isaac Ware's circa 1750 paneling and decoration from the French Room at Chesterfield House, London, were installed at Whitburn in the 1930s when Chesterfield House was being dismantled and demolished. These decorations have since been installed at the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle. The east end was added in the 17th century; a wing of six bays was installed in the 18th century, followed a nine-bay addition of circa 1800. The House was demolished in 1980.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Williamson family, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No