DiCamillo Companion
Scotland

Wemyss Castle

  • House & Family History: Wemyss is most noted today as the place where Mary, Queen of Scots, in 1565, met her future husband, Lord Darnley. The Castle is supposedly haunted by the ghost of a young woman wearing a trailing dress of green silk that rustles as she floats along the corridors.

  • Architect: Robert Stodart Lorimer

    Date: 1897
    Designed: Memorial Chapel

    View all houses

    Architect: Peddie & Kinnear

    Date: 1874-76
    Designed: Additions

    View all houses

    Architect: Robert Mylne

    Date: 1670
    Designed: Additons for 2nd Earl of Wemyss

    View all houses
  • Country Life: CXXXIX, 20 plan, 70, 1966. CXLIX, 1422 plan, 1971.

  • House Listed: Category A

    Park Listed: Designated Garden & Designed Landscape

  • Seat of: Michael and Charlotte Wemyss

    Past Seat of: Sir John Wemyss, 15th century; David Wemyss, 2nd Earl of Wemyss, 17th century; James Wemyss, 5th Earl of Wemyss, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only - By Appointment

    Phone: 01592-652-181

    Email: gardens@wemyss-em.com

    Website: http://www.wemysscastlegardens.com

    Historic Houses Member: No