The House "Morris's County Seats," circa 1875.
House & Family History: At its height, Warter contained nearly 100 rooms, over 30 of which were bedrooms.
Collections: The majority of the contents of Warter Priory were auctioned in March 1969, with the remaining contents auctioned in May of 1972. Shortly afterward the House was demolished, the gardens bulldozed, and the rubble used to fill in the nearby lake.
Garden & Outbuildings: In 1968 the Warter Estate was 14,500 acres. In 1998 the 11,000-acre Estate was sold by the Marquess of Normanby to Malcolm Healey for £48 million.
Architect: Arthur Beresford PiteDate: 1872
Architect: William Giblee HabershonDate: 1872
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Lowther Augustus John Pennington, 3rd Baron Muncaster, 19th century; Pennington family here from the 17th century until 1878. Charles Henry Wellesley Wilson, 2nd Baron Nunburnholme, 19th century; Wilson family here from 1878 until 1929. The Hon. George Ellis Vestey, 1929-68. Oswald Constantine John Phipps, 4th Marquess of Normanby, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Malcolm Healey purchased the Estate in 1998 and farms it today.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No