DiCamillo Companion
England

Wakehurst Place

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Sir Edward Culpepper

    House & Family History: In 1887 the American architect Dudley Newton completed a replica of Wakehurst Place in Newport, Rhode Island, for James J. Van Alen. Salve Regina University purchased the mansion from the Van Alen family in 1972.

    Collections: The contents of Wakehurst Place were auctioned on June 18, 1889 by Lumley's Auctioneers.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The gardens as seen today were created by the 1st Lord Wakehurst, who purchased the estate in 1903 and spent 33 years developing the gardens. Sir Henry Price purchased Wakehurst after Lord Wakehurst's death and left the property to the nation in 1963. Wakehurst is home to the National Collections of Betula (birches), Hypericum, Nothofagus (Southern Hemisphere beeches), and Skimmia. For the National Trust's 2008–09 fiscal year, Wakehurst Place Garden was the Trust's most visited property for which admission was charged, with 439,627 visitors.

  • Architect: Aston Webb

    Date: 1890
    Designed: Restored House for Sir William Boord

    View all houses

    Architect: Aston Webb

    Date: 1903
    Designed: North porch for Lord Wakehurst

    View all houses
  • Country Life: XVI, 18, 1904.

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "As You Like It" (2006). "Antiques Roadshow" (2007 - BBC TV, episode 29.22).
  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Edward Culpeper, 1590-1630; Culpeper family here from 1454 until 1694. Dennis Lyddell, 1694-1717; Richard Lyddell, 1717-57. Dennis Clarke, until 1776. Captain Edward Peyton, 1776-1804. Caroline, Duchess of Downshire, 1869-90. Sir William Boord, 1869-82. Gerald Loder, 1st Baron Wakehurst, 1882-1936. Sir Henry Price, 1936-63.

    Current Ownership Type: The National Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: Owned by the National Trust; since 1963, leased from the NT by The Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

  • House Open to Public: Yes

    Phone: 01444-894-066

    Fax: 01444-894-069

    Email: wakehurst@kew.org

    Website: http://www.kew.org/visit-wakehurst

    Historic Houses Member: No