House & Family History: Upton Grey was brought into its current form in 1907 by Charles Holme, whose family fortune was founded in the silk and woolen industry. Holme was a founding member of The Japan Society and a leader in the Arts & Crafts movement. He founded "The Studio" magazine in 1893 (probably the most influential magazine of its kind) and went on to edit it. In 1902 Holme moved to Upton Grey from William Morris's Red House in Kent. He engaged the local architect Ernest Newton to alter and adapt the medieval house, keeping many of the original timbers (those in the roof are dated between 1480 and 1540). Today's Edwardian façade encloses oak paneled rooms, a 16th century staircase, and the original roof timbers. Upton Grey was bought and restored by a London couple in 1984.
Garden & Outbuildings: Upton Grey is noted for its restored Gertrude Jekyll garden.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: Charles Holme, early 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: Grounds Only
Historic Houses Member: No