DiCamillo Companion
England

Tyttenhanger House (Tyttenhanger Park)

  • Earlier Houses: An earlier medieval house was located on, or near, the site of the current house.

    Built / Designed For: Sir Henry Pope Blount

    House & Family History: Tyttenhanger was originally a manor of St. Albans Abbey, which passed to Sir Thomas Pope at the Reformation. The Estate descended to Sir Henry Pope Blount, noted traveler and author, in 1654, who replaced the existing house with the current brick house. The brickwork at Tyttenhanger is of the highest quality and may be the earliest use in England of Flemish bond. In the 18th century the Estate passed by marriage to the Yorke family and then to the earls of Caledon in 1834. Tyttenhanger was sold in 1973 and successfully adapted as the offices for John Bonnington Architects.

  • Architect: John Soane

    Date: 1783 & 1789
    Designed: Remodeled House for Agneta Yorke

    View all houses

    Architect: Peter Mills

    Date: 1655
    Designed: House for Sir Henry Blount
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

    Country Life: XVIII, 594, 1905. XLVI, 424 plan, 454, 590 [Furniture], 1919.

  • Title: Newsletter of the Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: No. 79, Spring 2003, pg. 6
    Publisher: UK: The Society of Architectural Historians of Great Britain
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Thomas Pope, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Henry Pope Blount, 17th century. Yorke family, 18th century. Eric James Desmond Alexander, 5th Earl of Caledon, 19th-20th centuries.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Offices

    Ownership Details: Offices for John S. Bonnington Partnership (architects).

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01727-823-633

    Fax: 01727-826-488

    Email: architecture@JSBP.com

    Website: http://www.jsbp.com

    Historic Houses Member: No