DiCamillo Companion

Troy House

  • Earlier Houses: There was a medieval manor house on, or near, the site of the current house. King Henry VII stayed here in August of 1502.

    House & Family History: Jacobean paneling and an overmantel originally at Raglan Castle was installed in Troy House and later (1895) moved from Troy to Badminton House, where it's currently installed in the Oak Room. In 1904 the Sisters of the Good Shepherd took over ownership of the House for use as a convent school, a purpose it served until 1980. In May of 2020 Troy House was listed for sale for £200,000.

    Collections: There was an auction of the contents of Troy House in 1901.

    Comments: Troy is considered one of the finest 17th century country houses in Wales.

  • Architect: Unknown (designed by an unknown architect)

    Date: 1681-84
    Designed: North Range for 1st Duke of Beaufort

    View all houses
  • Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume Two, 1660-1830, The
    Author: Kingsley, Nicholas
    Year Published: 1992
    Reference: pg. 57
    Publisher: Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
    ISBN: 0850338069
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Blanche Herbert, Lady Troy, 16th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: William Somerset, 3rd Earl of Worcester, 16th century; Henry Somerset, 1st Duke of Beaufort, 17th century; Somerset family here until 1901.

    Current Ownership Type: The Catholic Church

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No