DiCamillo Companion
England

Trentham Park (Trentham Hall)

  • Earlier Houses: The were monastic buildings on the site, followed by a 1634 house, which was demolished in 1690 and replaced by the core of what later became the enormous 19th century house of the dukes of Sutherland.

    House & Family History: From the 11th to 16th centuries Trentham Priory owned the land that forms today's Trentham Estate. In 1540, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Trentham was sold to James Leveson of Perton Hall. In 1634 his descendant, Sir Richard Leveson, built a new house on the Estate; in the 17th century the Leveson heiress, Frances, married Sir Thomas Gower and created the Leveson-Gower family. It was their son, Sir William Leveson-Gower, who, in 1690, built a new house modeled on Buckingham House in St. James's (the core of Buckingham Palace). It was this house that was the core of the enormously enlarged 19th century house of the dukes of Sutherland that was routinely referred to as one of the finest houses in England. Trentham derived its name from the River Trent, which, ironically, was the downfall of the great house. By the late 19th century the pollution of the river was so great that the noxious fumes and odors it gave off made living at Trentham Hall unhealthy and virtually impossible. There were many royal visits to Trentham: King George III in 1805, Princess Victoria (later Queen Victoria) in 1832, and the prince and princess of Wales (later Edward VII and Queen Alexandra) in 1867.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Between 1909 and 1914 the Staffordshire Yeoman used Trentham as a summer military training camp. During World War II the Trentham Estate became a military regroupment camp for French soldiers, comprising the Foreign Legion, the Chasseurs Alpins, and a tank company. Nestled in the famous gardens was the Trentham Ballroom, which operated from 1931 until 2002. The Bank of England used the Ballroom during World War II; in the 1960s and 1970s many musical groups performed there, including The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and The Beatles. Trentham is currently undergoing a £100 million regeneration project aimed at creating a unique visitor destination of national significance. The 750-acre site, formerly known as Trentham Gardens, is owned by St. Modwen Properties PLC and Willi Reitz, the German leisure entrepreneur, and operated by Trentham Leisure Limited.

  • Architect: Lancelot Brown

    Date: 18th century
    Designed: Grounds

    View all houses

    Architect: Henry Holland

    Date: 1775-78
    Designed: Alterations for 2nd Lord Gower. Holland's work was reconstructed by Barry 1834-49 (demolished 1910).

    View all houses

    Architect: Smith family

    Date: 1707-10
    Designed: Francis and William Smith the Elder recast the 17th century house

    View all houses

    Architect: James Wyatt

    Date: Circa 1797
    Designed: Altered and enlarged House for 1st Marquess of Stafford

    View all houses

    Architect: Henry Flitcroft

    Date: 1737
    Designed: Additions for 2nd Lord Gower, later 1st Earl Gower.

    View all houses

    Architect: Charles Barry, Sr.

    Date: 1834-40 and 1840-49
    Designed: Rebuilt House for 2nd Duke of Sutherland

    View all houses
  • Country Life: Feb 8, 1968.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 528
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Smith of Warwick: Francis Smith, Architect and Master-Builder
    Author: Gomme, Andor
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 154
    Publisher: Lincolnshire: Shaun Tyas
    ISBN: 1900289385
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Country Life (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Jun 26, 2003, pg. 79
    Publisher: London: TI Media
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Destruction of the Country House, The
    Author: Strong, Roy; Binney, Marcus; Harris, John
    Year Published: 1974
    Publisher: London: Thames & Hudson Ltd.
    ISBN: 0500270052X
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: No Voice From the Hall: Early Memories of a Country House Snooper
    Author: Harris, John
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: London: John Murray
    ISBN: 0719555671
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 368, 1118
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "Antiques Roadshow" (1994 - BBC TV series, episode 16.3). "Gardeners' World" (2009 - BBC TV series, episode 19).
  • Past Seat of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Richard Leveson, 17th century. SEATED AT LATER HOUSE: Sir William Leveson-Gower, late 17th century; John Leveson-Gower, 1st Earl Gower, 18th century; George Granville Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, 2nd Duke of Sutherland, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction

    Ownership Details: The 750-acre site, formerly known as Trentham Gardens, is owned by St. Modwen Properties PLC and Willi Reitz, the German leisure entrepreneur, and operated by Trentham Leisure Limited.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Phone: 01782-646-646

    Email: enquiry@trentham.co.uk

    Website: http://www.trentham.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No