DiCamillo Companion

Trawsgoed Mansion (Trawsgoed House) (Trawscoed) (Crosswood Hall) (Crosswood Park)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier house built near the remains of a small Roman fort.

    House & Family History: In the 19th century the 6th Earl of Lisburne had the Library ceiling painted in emulation of those at Windsor Castle. In 1947 the House became the headquarters of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in Wales. In the 1990s the 19th century wing was converted to condos. By the early 21st century the 17th century section of Trawsgoed was abandoned; this section was saved from dereliction by Stephen and Suzanna Edwards, who purchased most of the House in 2007. In 2012, the Edwardses listed Trawsgoed for sale for £2.5 million.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The mild coastal Welsh climate supports rare Chilean and Himalayan tree species in the Park. In the late 19th century Trawsgoed, at 42,666 acres, was the largest estate in Cardiganshire. The Stableblock and Lodge House are extant. The Vaughan family today owns over 5,000 acres of the former Trawsgoed Estate.

  • Architect: Thomas William Aldwinckle

    Date: 1891
    Designed: Addition

    View all houses
  • Title: Historic Houses (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Winter 2002, pgs. 32-33
    Publisher: London: Historic Houses Association
    ISBN: 0260-8707
    Book Type: Magazine

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "The Restoration Man" (2010 - TV documentary, episode 1.9, "Hall and Mansion).
  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir John Vaughan, 17th century; John Vaughan, 2nd Viscount Lisburne, 18th century; Ernest Edmund Henry Malet Vaughan, 7th Earl of Lisburne, 20th century; The Hon. John Edward Malet Vaughan, late 20th century. Stephen and Suzanna Edwards, 2007-12.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No