DiCamillo Companion
England

Trafalgar Park (Trafalgar House) (Standlinch House) (Standlynch House) (Standlynch Park)

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: In 1814 the Standlynch Park Estate was purchased by Parliament for £90,000 (approximately £72 million in 2020 values using the labour value commodity index), renamed Trafalgar Park, and given to the family of Admiral Horatio Nelson as a reward for his naval victories over Napoleonic France. The Nelson family sold the estate in 1948, after their perpetual Treasury pension was canceled by the government. Trafalgar Park went through a number of owners until its 1995 purchase by Michael Wade, who restored the house to its former glory. The Greek Doric entrance portico, designed by Nicholas Revett, is the first of its kind in England. Mr. Wade listed Trafalgar for sale for £12 million in 2016; in 2021 it was listed for sale at £11 million. In the 18th century the music room was redecorated by the Italian painter Giovanni Battista Cipriani. In 1930 the 4th Earl Nelson purchased the paneling from the captain's cabin of HMS "Ganges" (built in 1821) and installed it in one of the rooms on the top floor of Trafalgar Park.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In 1884 the Trafalgar Estate spanned 7,200 acres; by the 1950s only 10 acres of land surrounded the house. In the late 20th century the south stableblock was converted into offices.

  • Architect: John James

    Date: 1731-33
    Designed: House for Sir Peter Vandeput

    View all houses

    Architect: John Wood, Jr.

    Date: 1766
    Designed: Flanking pavilions for Henry Dawkins

    View all houses

    Architect: Nicholas Revett

    Date: 1760s
    Designed: Doric Entrance Portico and remodeled interior of north wing for Henry Dawkins

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Britannicus: C. V, pls. 78-81, 1771.

    Country Life: Jul 13 & 20, 1945. Feb 13,1986 article by Sally Jeffery. Apr 3 & 10, 1997.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 568
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 539
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Georgian: The Magazine of the Georgian Group, The
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: January 1999, pg. 15
    Publisher: London: The Georgian Group
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Magazine

    Title: Historic Houses (magazine)
    Author: NA
    Year Published: NA
    Reference: Spring 1999, pg. 51
    Publisher: London: Historic Houses Association
    ISBN: 0260-8707
    Book Type: Magazine

  • House Listed: Grade I

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • "Sense and Sensibility" (1995 - as Barton Park, Sir John Middleton's home). "Emma" (1996 - TV mini series, as Hartfield). "28 Days Later…" (2002). "Amazing Grace" (2006). "Persuasion" (2022 - as Kellynch Hall, Sir Walter Elliot's country house).
  • Current Seat / Home of: Michael Wade; here since 1995.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Beauchamp family, 16th century. Greene family, 17th century. Buckland family, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Sir Peter Vandeput, 1732-48; George Vandeput, 1748-52. Sir William Young, 1752-65. Henry Dawkins, 1765-1814. William Nelson, 1st Earl Nelson and 2nd Duke of Bronte, 1814-35; Thomas Nelson, 2nd Earl Nelson, 1835; Horatio Nelson, 3rd Earl Nelson, 1835-1913; Thomas Horatio Nelson, 4th Earl Nelson, 1913-47; Edward Agar Horatio Nelson, 5th Earl Nelson, 1947-48. John Francis Godolphin Osborne, 11th Duke of Leeds, 1948-53. Oliver Lyttelton, 1st Viscount Chandos, 1953-71. Jeremy Pinckney, 1971-78. Tertius Murray Thriepland, 1978-92. Gunnar Bengtsson, 1992-95.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Phone: 01722-711-334

    Historic Houses Member: No