House & Family History: Tracy Park was owned until 1595 by the Tracy family, who became lords of the manor of Doynton in 1246. After the Tracys decamped in 1595 a succession of owners came and went until a pewterer from Bristol by the name of Robert Bush paid £6,250 for the Estate in 1774. Bush rebuilt, circa 1808, the House, preserving parts of the earlier house of circa 1600, leaving Tracy Park as it appears today (although later extensions exist to the back of the Manor). The Bush family sold the House and 120 acres to William Davy in 1820 for £12,818. The Rev. C.R. Davy made many alterations and additions to Tracy Park, possibly using J.E. Gill of Bath as his architect, 1858-71. The Davy family remained at Tracy until 1914, when it passed into the hands of the Clarke family, who were seated at Tracy until 1973. The House has been a hotel and golf club since 1973.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Park adjoins Freezing Hill which, in July 1643, was the sight for one of the bloodiest battles on British soil, the Battle of Lansdown, fought between the Royalists and the Parliamentarians to a draw during the English Civil War.
Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume Two, 1660-1830, The
Author: Kingsley, Nicholas
Year Published: 1992
Reference: pgs. 254-255
Publisher: Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: John de Tracye, 13th century; Tracy family here until 1595. Arthur Player, 16th century. Bush family, 1774-1820. Sir William Gabriel Davy, early 19th century; Davy family here 1820-1914. Clarke family, 1914-73.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Hotel
Ownership Details: Today Tracy Park Golf & Country Hotel