The South Facade of the last House from a 1920s postcard
An 1830 engraving of an earlier house from "Neale's Views of Seats"
Earlier Houses: There have been buildings on the site of the current house since the 12th century.
House & Family History: Thurso was named by the Vikings and means Thor's River. Though most of the House was demolished in 1952, a portion was retained as the private home of the Sinclair family.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 99, 1853.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. III, 1826. Scotland, 1830.
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: John Archibald Sinclair, 3rd Viscount Thurso.
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: George Sinclair, 6th Earl of Caithness, 17th century; Sir John Sinclair, 1st Bt., 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No