The House from "Morris's County Seats," circa 1875.
Earlier Houses: A Benedictine priory for nuns stood on the site of the current house from the 1180s until 1539, when the Priory was dissolved as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries. The Priory building was demolished in 1850 and replaced by the current house.
Built / Designed For: The Rev. Joseph Dunnington-Jefferson
House & Family History: In 1955 Lt. Col. Sir John Dunnington-Jefferson sold Thicket Priory to the Carmelite Sisters of Exmouth, who re-founded a monastery here. The sisters maintained the House as the center of the monastery until 2009, when new monastic buildings were erected on the Estate. The House was listed for sale for £3 million in April of 2013.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Dunnington-Jefferson family, 1844-1955.
Current Ownership Type: Unknown
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unknown
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No