The House from an 1820s Elkins & Co. blue and white pottery plate
Earlier Houses: An earlier, probably 17th century, house was replaced by the current house in the late 18th century.
House & Family History: In 2009 the House and grounds were bequeathed to the people of Selkirkshire.
Collections: The contents of The Haining were sold in 1938.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Estate reached its largest size, 2,585 acres, in the early 20th century.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. VI, 1823. Scotland, 1830.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 2008
Reference: pg. 351
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Lawrence Scott, until 1625. Andrew Riddell, 1625-1701. Pringle family, 1701-1890. Andrew Seth, 1891-1919. Mark Faudry, mid-20th century. Andrew Nimmo Smith, 1959-2009.
Current Ownership Type: Preservation Organization
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: Since 2010 owned by The Haining Charitable Trust.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No