DiCamillo Companion

The Cedars

  • House & Family History: The Cedars was part of a development of four small country houses (Old Palace House, The Cedars, Cecil House, and Jackson's School), built circa 1765-70, in an area known as Theobalds Square. This was near the site of Theobalds (William Cecil's house, destroyed during the Commonwealth); none of these houses are extant today. The Cedars was damaged by fire in the early 20th century and left unreconstructed.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The former grounds of The Cedars survive today as a public park and include an 18th century ornamental lake formed from the New River.

  • Title: Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Cherry, Bridget
    Year Published: 2000
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710078
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Not Listed

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

    Ownership Details: The grounds today are a public park.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Historic Houses Member: No