DiCamillo Companion
England

Tewin Water House

  • Earlier Houses: There were probably a number of earlier buildings, including monastic houses, on, or near, the site of the current house.

    House & Family History: Between 1955 and 1998 Tewin Water was occupied by the Hertfordshire County Council's School for the Deaf.

  • Architect: John Thomas Groves

    Date: 1798
    Designed: Remodeled House for H. Cowper

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSES: Sir Thomas Wrothe, 16th century; Wrothe family here until 1620. Beckington Butler, 17th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Thomas Montford, 17th century. William Cecil, early 18th century. James Fleet, 1714-33. Edmund Bull, 18th century. George Nassau Clavering-Cowper, 3rd Earl Cowper, 18th century. Alfred Beit, 20th century; Sir Otto John Beit, 20th century; Beit family here 1902 to 1946. Mr. A.H. Adey, 20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Corporation

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

  • House Open to Public: No

    Website: https://tewinwaterhouse.co.uk

    Historic Houses Member: No

VISIT AND HELP PRESERVE HISTORIC BRITISH HOUSES

Help preserve Britain’s privately owned country houses by joining Historic Houses. Use code DICAM7 for a £7 discount off a new membership that will give you access to hundreds of historic houses.

Join Now