DiCamillo Companion
England

Tehidy Park (Tehiddy House)

  • Built / Designed For: J.P. Bassett

    House & Family History: Tehidy House burned in 1919; the four detached angle pavilions survived the fire and were incorporated in 1922 into a new hospital building. Tehidy Hospital (sometimes also called Tehidy Sanatorium) was originally an isolation hospital for patients with tuberculosis; in later years it also became a center for patients with strokes and head injuries. The hospital closed in April of 1988 and the House was converted into luxury flats.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Tehidy Park Estate was purchased by Cornwall County Council in 1983; it is today one of four country parks in Cornwall.

  • Architect: Thomas Edwards

    Date: 1735
    Designed: House for J.P. Bassett

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 157, 1855.

  • Title: Buildings of England: Cornwall, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Radcliffe, Enid
    Year Published: 1970
    Reference: pg. 218
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 8
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Destruction of the Country House, The
    Author: Strong, Roy; Binney, Marcus; Harris, John
    Year Published: 1974
    Publisher: London: Thames & Hudson Ltd.
    ISBN: 0500270052X
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Past Seat of: Francis Basset, 1st Baron de Dunstanville and Basset 18th-19th centuries; Basset family here from the 13th century until 1916.

    Current Ownership Type: Flat Owners Company / Condo Association

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only

    Historic Houses Member: No