An 1869 print of the house from "History of Hampshire"
Earlier Houses: There were probably earlier buildings on the site, including Medieval monastic buildings owned by the monks of the Bishopric of Winchester.
Built / Designed For: Sir Robert Howard
House & Family History: Originally known as Fabians, the estate's name was changed to Tangier by Sir Robert Howard after the restoration of Charles II in 1660. Sir Robert very likely changed the name to honor the king, whose wife, Catherine of Braganza, brought the Moroccon city of Tangier to Charles II as part of her dowry. Tangier House and the adjoining Manydown Park (which once owned Tangier) are featured in Jane Austen’s novels.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Hoare family
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Robert Howard, 17th century. Sir Hele Hooke, until 1710. Henry Limprey, 18th century. Sclater-Mathews family, until early 19th century. The Rev. Lovelace Bigg-Wither, circa 1832-71 (as tenant). Edward Bates, 1st Baron Bates of Gyrn Castle, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No