House & Family History: Since the 16th century there has been a house on the site of the current house. In the late 16th-early 17th century, Stronvar was a fortified house owned by Ian Dubh MacGregor, who died in 1603 at the battle of Glen Fruin. Little information exists about the House during the 17th and 18th centuries. The Stewart family of Glen Buckie acquired the Estate and renamed it Glen Buckie House. In 1825 John Lorn Stewart had Glen Buckie House rebuilt in 1825; the Stables, now Stronvar Farm, were added to the Estate in 1828. In 1849 David Carnegie purchased the Estate and engaged David Bryce to remodel and rebuild the house so completely that it became virtually a new house.
House Listed: Not Listed
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Laird of Stronvar
Past Seat / Home of: Ian Dubh MacGregor, late 16th-early 17th centuries. John Lorn Stewart, early 19th century. David Carnegie, mid-19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Bed & Breakfast