Earlier Houses: The first residence on the site was an Elizabethan E-shaped house (similar to Blickling Hall) that was built for Sir Nicholas Hare in 1589. This was replaced in 1796 by a smaller, bow-fronted, large-windowed house, which was, in turn, replaced in 1874 by the final house on the site, a Victorian house designed by David Brandon that was demolished between 1994 and 1995.
Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Hare family; here since 1553.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Visitor Attraction
Ownership Details: The gardens are regularly open to the public.