House & Family History: Stone Cross is an immense house built of white limestone with Aberdeen granite trim and finished off with a large, squat tower. In 1943 the House was requisitioned by the military; in 1946 it was sold to Lancashire County Council and used as a boarding school until the 1980s. From the late 1980s until 2001 Stone Cross served as offices, after which the House lay abandoned, until it was redeveloped as multi-family housing in 2017.
Comments: John Martin Robinson called Stone Cross "A staggering Victorian Gothic pile..."
Garden & Outbuildings: In 2017 the Gatehouse was converted into a bungalow and 45 new houses were built in the grounds by Persimmon Homes.
Title: Guide to the Country Houses of the North-West, A
Author: Robinson, John Martin
Year Published: 1991
Reference: pg. 242
Publisher: London: Constable and Company Limited
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Kennedy family, 1879-1943.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: House converted into 19 flats in 2017.
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No