DiCamillo Companion
England

Stoke Edith Park (Stoke Edith House) (Stoke Court) (Stoke Park)

  • Earlier Houses: There was an earlier half-timbered Elizabethan house on the site that was incorporated into the 17th century house.

    Built / Designed For: Rebuilt for Paul Foley, Speaker of the House of Commons.

    House & Family History: Stoke Edith was the principal seat of Sir Henry Lingen (1612-62), a Royalist who commanded Goodrich Castle during the Civil War. Lingen's widow, Alice Pye, sold Stoke to the ironmaster Thomas Foley in 1670; it was his son, Paul, who obtained a license from James II to empark up to 500 acres at Stoke Edith and who began, in the 1690s, building (around the core of an earlier Elizabethan house) the fine red brick house in the William and Mary style, the ruins of which we see today.

    House Replaced By: The present Grade II-listed Stoke Edith House (originally the Rectory) was enlarged in the Queen Anne style by the Foley family in the 20th century.

    Collections: Two important needlework embroidery hangings of 1710-20, originally from a bedroom at Stoke Edith, are today in the collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London (see photo in "Images" section). In 1926 Paul Henry Foley donated 136 rare books from Stoke Edith to the Library at Hereford Cathedral.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: After a visit by the famous landscape designer George London in 1692, the park and gardens were redesigned to his plans. This layout very likely would have featured a series of formal compartments with geometric walks, fountains, and flower beds ringing the House (the V&A's needleworks from Stoke Edith give a fine feeling of the garden). The greatest surviving influence in the landscaping today is the work of Humphry Repton. Repton and his partner, John Nash, met for the first time at Stoke Edith while employed by The Hon. Edward Foley.

  • Architect: George London

    Date: 1690s
    Designed: Gardens

    View all houses

    Architect: William Andrews Nesfield

    Date: 1860s
    Designed: Formal Garden

    View all houses

    Architect: Humphry Repton

    Date: 1790s
    Designed: Landscaping for Hon. Edward Foley

    View all houses

    Architect: William Wilkins, Sr.

    Date: 1792-96
    Designed: Lodges at Hereford and Ledbury entrances to Park and ottages in village, all for Edward Foley.

    View all houses

    Architect: John Nash

    Date: 1793-96
    Designed: New Parlour for Hon. Edward Foley (demolished after 1927 fire)

    View all houses
  • Vitruvius Britannicus: C. I, pls. 45, 46, 1715.

    John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. II, p. 121, 1855.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, 1819.

    Country Life: XXVI, 420, 1909. LXII, 962, 1927.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 733, 1121
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 8
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Current Seat / Home of: Foley family; here since 1670.

    Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Sir Henry Lingen, 17th century. SEATED AT 1698 HOUSE: Paul Foley, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Other

    Ownership Details: Today a shooting estate.

  • House Open to Public: Grounds Only - By Appointment

    Phone: 01432 890 269

    Website: http://www.stokeedith.estate

    Historic Houses Member: No