DiCamillo Companion
England

Stanwick Park (Stanwick Hall)

  • Built / Designed For: Rebuilt for Sir Hugh Smithson, who probably designed the House himself.

    House & Family History: In 1921 the 8th Duke of Northumberland took the decision to sell his Yorkshire estates, including Stanwick Park. In 1922 there was a major auction of all the land and farms of the Stanwick Park Estate, as well as the remaining furniture in the House. The House was sold to Tim Place of Northallerton, a timber merchant, who, in 1923, passed what remained of Stanwick onto Tom Willoughby, also of Northallerton, for demolition. In 1921 one of the rooms (and possibly more) from the Georgian section of the House were sold to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. The MIA opened the Stanwick Room to the public in 1932 and furnished it with contemporary 18th century furniture, possibly from Stanwick itself. The room was called the Blue Bedroom in the 18th century and the Duchess's Bedroom in the 19th century. It's also possible that the MIA room(s) did not come from Stanwick at all, considering the convoluted and sometimes unethical trade in period rooms that took place in the early 20th century. The House's interiors featured some of the first examples in Yorkshire of the Rococo style; the Dining Room ceiling was copied from Chiswick House.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In the late 19th century Stanwick was noted for its greenhouses that grew exotic fruits such as peaches, figs, bananas, grapes, and the Stanwick nectarine.

  • Architect: Thomas Rickman

    Date: 1830-31
    Designed: Outbuildings for Lord Prudhoe, later 4th Duke of Northumberland.

    View all houses

    Architect: Daniel Garrett

    Date: Circa 1739-40
    Designed: Probably assisted Sir Hugh Smithson (later 1st Duke of Northumberland) in designing the rebuilding of the House
    (Attribution of this work is uncertain)
    View all houses

    Architect: Decimus Burton

    Date: Circa 1839
    Designed: Additions to House for Lord Prudhoe, later 4th Duke of Northumberland

    View all houses
  • Country Life: Feb 17, 1900.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 202, 411, 868
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Walford's County Families of the United Kingdom, 1914
    Author: NA
    Year Published: 1914
    Reference: pg. 900
    Publisher: London: Spottiswoode & Co.
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Reference: pg. 9
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat of: Sir Hugh Smithson, later 18th Earl of Northumberland and 1st Duke of Northumberland, 18th century; Lord Prudhoe, later 4th Duke of Northumberland, 19th century; Eleanor Percy, Duchess of Northumberland, until 1911.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No