Built / Designed For: 4th Earl of Egremont
House & Family History: The 4th Earl of Egremont, upset that he didn't inherit Petworth, along with his title, settled upon building a house to rival the great Sussex mansion. The unusual house that James Knowles designed for the earl was 600 feet long, contained 187 rooms, 130 marble mantelpieces, 150 cellars, and occupied an acre of ground. When the earl died in 1845 the interiors were not completed -- they were never finished; just 50 years later the entire house was pulled down.
Garden & Outbuildings: The sole surviving building on the Estate is the Stable Block, which is owned by The Landmark Trust and used for holiday lets.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat of: George Francis Wyndham, 4th Earl of Egremont, 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No