The House from a circa 1915 postcard
Earlier Houses: An Elizabethan mansion called Fulford House, built by Sir William Peryam (1534-1604), Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer, was demolished in 1811 and replaced by the 19th century house that is the focus of this record.
Built / Designed For: Richard Hippisley-Tuckfield
House & Family History: During World War II Shobrooke House was occupied by St. Peter's Court prep school. Early in the morning of January 23, 1945 a fire broke out that gutted and virtually destroyed the House. The remaining walls were demolished in 1947.
House Replaced By: The 19th century house was replaced by a 20th century house.
Collections: All of the contents were lost during the 1945 fire.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Stableblock is extant.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pgs. 316, 444
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Grade II
Current Seat / Home of: Sir John Richard Shelley, 11th Bt.
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER ELIZABETHAN HOUSE: Sir William Peryam, 16th century. Robert Basset, 17th century. John II Tuckfield, 17th century; Henry Tuckfield, 18th century. Richard Hippisley, 19th century. SEATED AT 19TH CENTURY HOUSE: Richard Hippisley-Tuckfield, 19th century. Sir John Frederick Shelley, 10th Bt., 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
Ownership Details: The Estate is owned by the Shelley family, who live in a new house near the site of the 19th century house.
House Open to Public: Grounds Only - By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No