The House from a 1908 postcard
House & Family History: After the death of the last private owner in 1920, his son, Godfrey Miller-Mundy, sold the House and Estate to the Shipley Colliery Company, who allowed Shipley Hall to fall into disrepair and who mined coal directly beneath the House. After decades of neglect, the colliery company demolished Shipley in 1948. King Edward VII attended a house party at Shipley in the early 20th century.
Collections: The majority of the contents of Shipley Hall were sold in the early 1920s.
Comments: Shipley was considered one of the greatest Edwardian houses in Derbyshire.
Garden & Outbuildings: After the demolition of the House the iron gates were removed to Heanor Memorial Park, while door and other architectural fragments were installed in a house in Mansfield Woodhouse. In the 1970s the site of the House and part of the Park were acquired by the Derbyshire County Council and turned into a country park open to the public. In April 1991 the Grade II* model farm and water tower were listed for sale. The 1899 cricket ground is the home today of Shipley Hall Cricket Club.
Title: Derbyshire Country House, The
Author: Craven, Maxwell; Stanley, Michael
Year Published: 1991
Reference: pg. 184
Publisher: Derbyshire: Breedon Books
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Victorian Country House, The
Author: Girouard, Mark
Year Published: 1990
Reference: pg. 320
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Miller-Mundy family, 1765 until the early 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
Ownership Details: The former Shipley Park is today a public park.
House Open to Public: Grounds Only
Historic Houses Member: No