A 1966 Sennowe Eastern County Caravan Club Badge
House & Family History: In the 19th century Sennowe was owned by Edmond Wodehouse, MP (died 1855). In the mid-19th century the house was purchased by the Morse-Boycott family, who sold up in 1887 to Bernard Le Neve-Foster, who was from the illegitimate branch of the Le Neve family of Ringland. In 1898 Sennowe was bought by Thomas Albert Cook, grandson of the founder of the famous Thomas Cook and Sons travel agents. In 1908 Cook employed Skipper to alter and significantly enlarge the existing Georgian house; the result is a house of two stories with a hipped roof and pedimented dormers with two 3-bay canted bows that have a third story with oval windows. Sennowe is an astonishing 17 bays on the east facade and five bays on the south facade.
Garden & Outbuildings: There was a park at Sennowe in the 18th century (the River Wensum flows through grounds). In the early 20th century Italianate terraces on three levels were laid out, together with two domed open pavilions, by George Skipper and Frederick W. Skipper. Extant are a conservatory and a large, timbered boathouse. In the late 20th and early 21st centuries music concerts were held in the park.
Architect: Frederick Wilemer SkipperDate: Early 20th century
Country Life: CLXX, 2242, 2298, 1981.
Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Reference: pgs. 180-181
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Current Seat / Home of: Charles and Virginia Temple-Richards
Past Seat / Home of: Edmond Wodehouse, MP, 19th century. Morse-Boycott family, mid-19th century until 1887. Bernard Le Neve-Foster, late 19th century. Thomas Albert Cook, late 19th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
Ownership Details: House is available for bespoke stays.