The house from the May 8, 1875 issue of "The Graphic"
The 1775 Gainsborough portrait of John Eld, today in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston.
House & Family History: Seighford Hall is a wood-frame house with a late 16th century core and large, late 19th century additions. John Eld (1704-96), an 18th century owner of Seighford, was a noted philanthropist and a founder of the Staffordshire General Infirmary. A fine Gainsborough portrait of Eld, commissioned by the infirmary's trustees, hangs today in the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (see photo in "Images" collection). For the latter part of the 20th century the house was used as a nursing home. The care home, which was operated by Seighford Hall Nursing Home Ltd., closed in 1998 and the house has been vacant ever since. In 2022 it was discovered that Seighford's caretaker had given, or possibly sold, a carved wooden Tudor fire surround and overmantel to a local antique dealer because he believed the wood was rotten and riddled with fungus. The fire surround and overmantel may be worth up to £5 million, according to the May 27, 2022 edition of "The Guardian."
Garden & Outbuildings: The gamekeeper's cottage (which has a fine brick tower) and the coach house are both extant.
Title: The Guardian
Reference: May 27, 2022 online edition
Publisher: London: Guardian Media Group plc
ISBN: 0261-3077 and 1756-3224
Book Type: Newspaper
Title: Buildings of England: Staffordshire, The
Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus
Year Published: 1975
Publisher: London: Penguin Books
Book Type: Hardback
Title: MFA: A Guide to the Collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Author: Wohlauer, Gilian Shallcross
Year Published: 1999
Publisher: Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: John Eld, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No