DiCamillo Companion
England

Sand Hutton Hall

  • House & Family History: Sand Hutton Hall was illustrated in "The Builder" in 1881. In 1930, after the death of Sir Robert James Milo Walker, 4th Bt., the Estate, but not the House, was sold to the Church of England. During World War II the House was occupied by Polish servicemen. In 1955 the Walker family sold the House to new owners who demolished the southern half for its building materials and converted the northern half into flats. In the 1971 the northern half was demolished.

  • Architect: Anthony Salvin

    Date: 1851-52
    Designed: Further additions and alterations for Sir James Walker, 1st Bt.

    View all houses

    Architect: Anthony Salvin

    Date: 1839-41
    Designed: Additions and alterations for Sir James Walker, 1st Bt.

    View all houses

    Architect: John Carr

    Date: 1786
    Designed: House for William Read

    View all houses
  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 1995
    Reference: pg. 225
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300072074
    Book Type: Softback

    Title: Lost Houses of York and the North Riding
    Author: Waterson, Edward; Meadows, Peter
    Year Published: 1998
    Reference: pgs. 10-11
    Publisher: Yorkshire: Jill Raines
    ISBN: 0951649434
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Destroyed

  • Past Seat / Home of: William Read, 18th century. The Rev. Thomas Cutler Rudston, early 19th century. Sir James Walker, 1st Bt., 1838-83; Sir James Robert Walker, 2nd Bt., 1883-99; Sir James Heron Walker, 3rd Bt., 1899-1900; Sir Robert James Milo Walker, 4th Bt., 1900-30.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No