The house from a 1905 postcard
The house from a circa 1914 postcard
House & Family History: Rydal became a girls' school after the family sold up in the 1960s. The school didn't last long and the house became a retreat for the Church of England Diocese of Carlisle in the 1970s, a purpose, greatly expanded, which it continues to serve today. Rydal is probably most notable today because of its connection with William Wordsworth. The Grot at Rydal Falls is described in Wordsworth’s early poem, "An Evening Walk," published in 1793. The poet moved to Rydal Mount, near Rydal Hall, in 1813 and it remained his home until his death in 1850.
Collections: The contents of Rydal Hall were sold circa 1969.
Garden & Outbuildings: The Italianate gardens, one of the stars of the house, were installed in the early 20th century and paid for, it's rumored, by the sale of two Romneys from the art collection.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Daniel Fleming, 17th century; Le Fleming family here until the 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: The Church of England
Primary Current Ownership Use: Conference Center
Ownership Details: Owned since the 1970s by the Diocese of Carlisle and used as a conference, retreat, and holiday center.
House Open to Public: By Appointment
Historic Houses Member: No