DiCamillo Companion

Rushbrooke Hall (Rushbrook Park)

  • Built / Designed For: Jermyn family

    House & Family History: The red brick Rushbrooke Hall was a large house (the garden facade was 11 bays) finished off by polygonal turrets. The interior was noted for its grand two-story 18th century Rococo style hall. The house had been abandoned for years before it burned in 1961.

    Collections: "Catherine Killigrew, Lady Jermyn" by Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger was sold from the family collection at Rushbrooke in 1919. The painting is today in the collection of the Yale Center for British Art, New Haven, Connecticut (Catherine Killigrew married Sir Thomas Jermyn in 1559).

    Comments: Positioned on a moated site, Rushbrooke was considered one of the most important 16th century houses in England.

  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.

    Country Life: XIV, 542, 1903.

  • Title: This Other Eden: Paintings From the Yale Center for British Art
    Author: Warner, Malcolm; Alexander, Julia Marciari
    Year Published: 1998
    Reference: pg. 24
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 0300074980
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Reference: pgs. 259-260
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Sir Thomas Jermyn, 16th century. Sir Robert Davers, 2nd Bt., 1703-22; Sir Jermyn Davers, 4th Bt., until 1743; Sir Charles Davers, 6th Bt., until 1806. Robert Rushbrooke, 1806-45; Rushbrooke family here until 1919. John Poynder Dickson-Poynder, 1st Baron Islington, 1919-36. Rothschild family, mid-20th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No