The Entrance Facade
The House from an early 20th century postcard
The House and Stables
The Garden from the House
The House from the Garden
Urn and folly in the Garden
Mercury in the Garden
The Walled Garden
The Walled Garden
Built / Designed For: Sir Robert Dormer
House & Family History: In the 1630s Sir Robert Dormer bought the manor of Rousham; he began building the current house in 1635, but construction was stopped by the start of the Civil War. As the Dormers were a Royalist family, the House was attacked by Parliamentary troops, who stole the lead from the newly-completed roof. Colonel Robert Dormer-Cottrell, the grandson of the House's builder, inherited Rousham in 1719 and began the transformation of the garden to its current appearance. In the 1730s Colonel Robert hired one of England's premier early 18th century landscape designers, Charles Bridgeman, to lay out the gardens in the new naturalistic style of landscape design. Overlooking a curve of the River Cherwell, Bridgeman's design populated the garden with meandering walks through the woods punctuated with pools and statuary. At the Colonel's death his brother, General James Dormer-Cottrell, inherited Rousham. The General was an old soldier who served with the 1st Duke of Marlborough and had been Britain's minister to Portugal. General Dormer liked to run with the avant-garde artistic set, and, as a result, noted personalities from this group, such as Alexander Pope and Jonathan Swift, were frequent visitors to Rousham. The general called in William Kent to alter the House and to expand and enhance Bridgeman's garden. Kent took the Dormers' Jacobean house and created within and without a place of pure magic. He added the low wings on the Garden Façade (which includes the sublime Parlour, often cited as one of the finest 18th century rooms in England) and built the Stable Block in the 1730s; he also redid the South Facade and made interior alterations. In 1876 the architect Francis William St. Aubyn added the Jacobean style North Wing to the House.
Collections: Rousham contains fine collections of Jacobean and 18th century paintings, furniture, and statuary; the interiors retain some of their original 17th century paneling and staircases.
Comments: Sir Nikolaus Pevsner called the Painted Parlour at Rousham "one of the most exquisite small rooms of the 18th century in England." Candida Lycett Green, writing in "Country Life: 100 Favourite Houses": "Rousham is ravishing in every way. It is William Kent's masterpiece. The best of England is rolled into one here at Rousham."
Garden & Outbuildings: The gardens at Rousham are considered one of the best examples of the first stage of English landscape design and are today virtually as William Kent designed them in the 18th century – a rare survival. Kent was determined to turn Bridgeman's garden into an Augustan landscape that invoked the glories of ancient Rome. He filled the garden with statues of dying gladiators, classical temples, formal pools, and follies chock-a-block with visages of Roman gods, all designed to elicit a walk in Elysium. The gardens feature ponds and cascades in Venus's Vale, the Temple of the Mill, the Cold Bath, Townsend's Building, and, on the skyline, a sham ruin known as The Eyecatcher. There is also the Pigeon House, the Cow Castle, which features the Stables on one side and a garden seat on the other, the large walled garden, and the orchard, which features Espalier apple trees. The Park is also home to a herd of rare Long Horn cattle. A noted folly is the grotto and cascade, which carries the following inscription: "In Front of this Stone lie the Remains of Ringwood, an otter-hound of extraordinary Sagacity: this shows that while the English squire who created this garden attempted to achieve Arcadia, his interests and loves remained hunting and hounds." After a visit to Rousham in the 18th century, Horace Walpole wrote to his friend George Montagu "The garden is Daphne in little…the sweetest little groves, streams, glades, porticoes, cascades, and river, imaginable; all the scenes are perfectly classic."
Architect: Francis William St. AubynDate: Circa 1876
Country Life: XXVII, 306, 1910. XCIX, 900, 946, 1946. CIV, 384 [Furniture], 1948.
Title: Directory of British Architects, 1834-1914, Volume 2: L-Z
Author: Brodie, Antonia; Felstead, Alison; Franklin, Jonathan, et al (Editors)
Year Published: 2001
Reference: pg. 525
Publisher: London: Continuum
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Country Life: 100 Favourite Houses
Author: Green, Candida Lycett
Year Published: 1999
Reference: pg. 102
Publisher: London: Boxtree
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade I
Park Listed: Grade I
Current Seat / Home of: Charles Cottrell-Dormer
Past Seat / Home of: General James Dormer, 18th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home