Earlier Houses: The Redheugh Estate was an ancestral holding of the bishops of Durham.
House & Family History: The railway stretching between Newcastle and Carlisle was laid between Redheugh Hall and the river in the 1830s. The Estate was offered for sale in 1850 with the purpose of offering plots to be used for the errection of villas for the residents of Newcastle. By the early 20th century Redheugh Hall was used for the storage of hay. The House was demolished in the 1920s and 30s.
Comments: The railway stretching between Newcastle and Carlisle was set between the House and the river in the 1830s - some believe - ruining the environment created by the estate.
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Redheugh family, 13th century. White family. Liddell family, 17th century. Adam Askew, 18th century; Askew family here until the 1870s.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No