DiCamillo Companion

Quorn Hall (Quorndon Hall) (Nether Hall)

  • House & Family History: Quorn Hall was a seat of a junior branch of the Farnham family from the mid-15th century until 1686. In 1753 the House was purchased by Hugo Meynell, master and founder of the Quorn Hunt and "the Father of English Fox Hunting." Circa 1755, Meynell built new kennels and stables to the northwest of the House, traces of which remain today. He further added an extra story and more reception rooms, circa 1790. After the death of Captain Warner in 1929, the family left the area and Quorn Hall became the home of the Quorn Country Club. Leicestershire County Council purchased the Hall in 1937 as a residence hall for Loughborough College. During World War II Quorn was taken over by the Admiralty to house personnel undergoing training for the war. The House was returned to the college after the war; between 1983 and 2012 Quorn Hall was used as an outdoor education center by Leicestershire County Council.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: Hugo Meynell built new kennels and stables to the northwest of the house, circa 1755, traces of which remain today.

  • Title: Historic Country Houses of Leicestershire and Rutland, The
    Author: Cantor, Leonard
    Year Published: 1998
    Publisher: Leicester: Kairos Press
    ISBN: 1871344182
    Book Type: Softback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Farnam family, here from 1284 until 1686. Hugo Meynell, 18th century. Warner family, 19th-20th centuries.

    Current Ownership Type: Government

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Unoccupied

    Ownership Details: Owned by Leicestershire County Council

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No