Earlier Houses: The current house incorporates part of an earlier Tudor house.
Built / Designed For: John Wallington
House & Family History: The original Piers Court was built in 1588, with parts of the south facing Elizabethan house remaining, such as the original front door. In 1761, the major Georgian alterations included the addition of a fine classical Palladian frontage and the removal of the House's gables. Piers Court was purchased by John Wallington in 1793; he incorporated fragments of the 16th century and later house of the Pinford family into his new house of seven bays by two stories. From 1937 until 1956 Piers was the home of novelist Evelyn Waugh, where he wrote "Brideshead Revisited." The House had been acquired by the parents of Waugh's second wife, Laura Herbert, as a wedding present for the sum of £2,000 (Laura's father, Aubrey Herbert, was the second son of the 4th Earl of Carnavon). Waugh's library was dismantled by a subsequent owner and shipped to America for a museum. Piers was put up for sale in September 2004 for £2.75 million, together with 23 acres and a Grade II-listed William and Mary coach house (with Dutch gables). Piers Court was listed for sale again in 2010, this time for £2.5 million. (We are grateful to Andrew Triggs for supplying information about the history of Piers Court).
Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume Two, 1660-1830, The
Author: Kingsley, Nicholas
Year Published: 1992
Reference: pg. 296
Publisher: Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Pinford family, 16th century. John Wallington, late 18th century. Evelyn Waugh, 1937-56. Auberon Waugh, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No