Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on, or near, the site of the current house.
Built / Designed For: John Penrose
House & Family History: Penrose means "head of the moor" in Cornish. In 1974 Lt. Commander John Peverell Rogers donated a large part of the Estate, including farms, rental properties, and woodland to the National Trust; the House was kept in family ownership. In 2019, in a well-publicized case, Jordan Adlard proved, by DNA testing, that he was the illegitimate son of Charles Rogers; he changed his name to Jordan Adlard-Rogers and inherited Penrose House.
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pg. 464
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Jordan Adlard-Rogers; since 2019.
Past Seat / Home of: John Penrose, until 1679; Penrose family here from circa 1260 until circa 1760. Hugh Rogers, 18th century; John Rogers, 18th century; The Rev. John Rogers, 19th century; John Jope Rogers, late 19th century; John Lionel Rogers, early 20th century; Lt. Commander John Peverell Rogers, late 20th century; Charles Rogers, until 2018.
Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust
Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No