The House from a circa 1919 postcard
Earlier Houses: The current house replaced an earlier house of 1799, built for The Rev. Thomas Watkins.
Built / Designed For: Colonel John Lloyd Vaughan Watkins
House & Family History: Penoyre is a five-bay by three-story house that was designed in the Italianate style of Charles Barry's Trentham Park. The House, which contained lavish interiors, was built for Col. Lloyd Vaughan Watkins and cost the immense sum of £33,000. The Conservatory, demolished in 1899, had a large glass dome.
Comments: Mark Girouard, writing in "The Victorian Country House," called Penoyre "Salvin's most ambitious classical house."
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 175, 1853.
House Listed: Grade II*
Park Listed: Grade II
Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: The Rev. Thomas Watkins, 18th century. SEATED AT CURRENT HOUSE: Col. John Lloyd Vaughan Watkins, 1848-65.
Current Ownership Type: Corporation
Primary Current Ownership Use: Flats / Multi Family
Ownership Details: Converted into flats in the early 21st century
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No