House & Family History: Then known as Pyremere, the Parmoor House Estate was owned by the Knights Templar in the 12th century; by the reign of Henry VI (15th century) it was owned by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem. In the late 18th century Parmoor was purchased by the Cripps family of Berkshire, who remained here until the 20th century (Parmoor was the birthplace of Sir Stafford Cripps, the noted post-World War II chancellor of the Exchequer). During World War II Parmoor was leased to King Zog of Albania, who lived here with a great number of retainers. In 1947 the Anglican Community of St. Katharine of Alexandria moved to Parmoor House from Fulham to provide care for elderly ladies. In 1995 The Sue Ryder Prayer Fellowship took over Parmoor and run it today as a center for retreats, seminars, celebrations, and accommodation.
House Listed: Grade II
Park Listed: Not Listed
Current Seat / Home of: Doyle family. Cripps family, 1791-1940s? King Zog of Albania, during World War II.
Past Seat / Home of: Doyle family. Cripps family, 1791-1940s? King Zog of Albania, during World War II.
Current Ownership Type: Charity / Nonprofit
Primary Current Ownership Use: Other
Ownership Details: Since 1995 owned by The Sue Ryder Prayer Fellowship and operated as a spirtual retreat center.