DiCamillo Companion

Worth Park (Ridley's Court) (The Manor House)

  • House & Family History: In 1915 the Worth Park Estate was broken up and sold. The House was purchased in 1920 by Milton Mount, a boarding school, who remained here until they sold up in 1963. Worth Park was demolished in 1968 and a block of flats built on its footprint.

    House Replaced By: An earlier house was destroyed by fire in 1853 and replaced by the 19th century house (the second house) that is the primary focus of this record.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Grade II-listed 1882 Stables, today called Ridley's Court, has been redeveloped as flats on the top floor. The former gardens of Worth Park are today a public park.

  • Title: Buildings of England: Sussex, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Nairn, Ian
    Year Published: 1973
    Reference: pgs. 642-643
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: 0140710280
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: SEATED AT EARLIER HOUSE: Shirley family, 17th century. Joseph Mayer Montefiore, 1850-53. SEATED AT 19TH CENTURY HOUSE: Joseph Mayer Montefiore, 1854-80; Sir Frances Abraham Montefiore, 1880-1915.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No