DiCamillo Companion
England

Orwell Park

  • House & Family History: The Right Rev. George Pretyman, tutor and secretary to William Pitt, whom Pitt made bishop of London in 1787, became friends with the Marmaduke Tomline, who left Pretyman all of his property. Pretyman took the name Tomline, according to the wishes of Marmaduke Tomline, as stated in his will. William Burn significantly extended Orwell Park for George Tomline between 1851 and 1853. Other additions, including the observatory tower, were made in 1873. The Pretyman family sold the House to a boys' prep school in the 1930s and built a classical style house at the opposite end of Park.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: In the mid-19th century the Orwell Park Estate ran to over 18,000 acres.

  • Architect: William Burn

    Date: 1851-53
    Designed: Extended House for George Tomline

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. I, p. 85, 1854.

    John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. IV, 1821.

  • Title: Creating Paradise: The Building of the English Country House, 1660-1880
    Author: Wilson, Richard; Mackley, Alan
    Year Published: 2000
    Reference: pg. 27
    Publisher: London: Hambledon and London
    ISBN: 1852852526
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Burke's and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
    Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
    Year Published: 1981
    Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
    ISBN: 0850110351
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Colonel George Tomline, MP, mid-19th century. Pretyman family.

    Current Ownership Type: School

    Primary Current Ownership Use: School

    Ownership Details: The House was sold to a school pre-World War II, after which the Pretyman family built a new house at the other end of the Park.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No