Fireplace from Old Gala House
Collections: A circa 1774 chimneypiece, attributed to Francis Harwood and in the style of Sir Henry Cheere, was originally installed in Old Gala House (see photo in "Images" section). It was moved to New Gala House in the 19th century and sold from that house before its demolition in 1985. The Edinburgh firm of Lyon & Turnbull listed the chimneypiece for sale with an estimate of £10,000-15,000 in a January 2016 auction. The fireplace features carved and moulded Carrara marble inset with panels of Sienna marble and jasper; an almost identical chimneypiece exists in the Small Drawing Room at Wedderburn Castle. Four pedestals made by Cheere of white and Sienna marble with Sicilian jasper panels, which bear similarities to the Wedderburn and Gala House chimneypieces, are in the collection of National Trust in the Music Room at West Wycombe Park.
Title: Buildings of Scotland: Borders, The
Author: Cruft, Kitty; Dunbar, John; Fawcett, Richard; et al
Year Published: 2006
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Category A
Park Listed: Not Listed
Past Seat / Home of: Andrew Hoppringill, 16th century. John Scott, 8th Laird of Gala, 19th century. Ian Brown, 20th century.
Current Ownership Type: Government
Primary Current Ownership Use: Mixed Use
Ownership Details: Owned by Scottish Borders Council; Old Gala serves as a museum and conference center.
House Open to Public: Yes
Historic Houses Member: No