DiCamillo Companion

Olantigh Towers

  • Earlier Houses: There was at least one earlier house on the site of the house that is the focus of this record.

    House & Family History: John Samuel Wanley Sawbridge-Erle-Drax spent prodigiously at Olantigh; he added many rooms and wings, including the Venetian style towers and the enormous picture galleries. At his death Sawbridge-Erle-Drax left a house that was over 200 feet long and 21-bays wide.

    House Replaced By: After Olantigh Towers burned in 1903, a smaller, classical style, red-brick house, incoporating the stone portico of the old house, was erected in 1910.

  • Country Life: CXLVI, 282, 334, 1969.

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Past Seat / Home of: Cardinal John Kemp (Kempe), Archbishop of Canterbury, 15th century; Sir Thomas Kemp, 16th century; Kemp family here from the 14th century until 1607. Sir Timothy Thornhill, 17th century; Thornhill family here until 1717. Jacob Sawbridge, 1717-48; John Sawbridge, 1748-95; John Samuel Wanley Sawbridge-Erle-Drax, 19th century; Sawbridge family here until the 1930s.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No