DiCamillo Companion
DiCamillo Griffin Logo
England

Oakly Park (Oakley Park)

  • House & Family History: Originally a Benedictine priory, Oakly was converted to a private house in the 16th century. In 1771 Robert Clive, "Clive of India," bought the Oakly Estate from Henry Arthur Herbert, who moved permanently to Powis Castle when he inherited the Castle and the title of earl of Powis. The modest mid-Georgian brick house was altered to suit Clive's taste and he commissioned Capability Brown to make designs for the Park. Clive's grandson, The Hon. R.H. Clive, remodeled the House in the Greek Revival style with the assistance of the architect C.R. Cockerell. Both men had been founding members of the Travellers Club in London's Pall Mall and were keenly interested in Greek archaeology, as the external and internal details of the House indicate. Famous for its very large park, originally laid out in the 16th century, today's landscape park and gardens were developed in the 18th and 19th centuries, primarily by William Emes. (We are very grateful to Gareth Williams for this history of Oakly.)

    Collections: When the 3rd Earl of Plymouth sold Hewell Grange in 1946 many of the contents were moved to Oakly.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Ludlow Food Centre is a superb celebration of all that is good in the English countryside, and the output of a remarkable agricultural operation. Set at the heart of the Oakly Estate, the food centre sells some of the produce from the Estate's in-hand farm of 4,500 acres, together with the produce of many other local suppliers. Within a specially-built building, butchers, bakers, and other skilled purveyors of food and drink, work to deliver fresh produce to customers in this part of Shropshire. (We are grateful to Gareth Williams for this history of the Ludlow Food Centre and the Oakly Estate).

  • Architect: John Hiram Haycock

    Date: Circa 1784-90
    Designed: Alterations to House for 2nd Lord Clive

    View all houses

    Architect: William Eames (Emes)

    Designed: Landscaped Park

    View all houses

    Architect: William Baker

    Date: 1748-58
    Designed: Altered House for 1st Earl of Powis

    View all houses

    Architect: Charles Robert Cockerell

    Date: 1819-36
    Designed: Remodeled House for Hon. R.H. Clive

    View all houses
  • John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 1831.

  • Title: Lasting Elegance: English Country Houses, 1830-1900
    Author: Hall, Michael
    Year Published: 2009
    Reference: pg. 144
    Publisher: New York: The Monacelli Press
    ISBN: 9781580932561
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage, 1990
    Author: Kidd, Charles; Williamson, David (Editors)
    Year Published: 1990
    Reference: pg. P 980
    Publisher: London: Debrett's Peerage Limited (New York: St. Martin's Press, Inc.)
    ISBN: 0312046405
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pgs. 91, 264, 505
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Grade II*

    Park Listed: Grade II

  • Current Seat / Home of: Ivor Edward Other Windsor-Clive, 4th Earl of Plymouth.

    Past Seat / Home of: Henry Arthur Herbert, 1st Earl of Powis, 18th century. Major-General Robert Clive, 1st Baron Clive, 18th century. Herbert Windsor, 2nd Viscount Windsor, 18th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No