An 1829 engraving of the House from "Neale's Views of Seats"
Earlier Houses: There was a 12th century Augustinian priory on the site, the vaulted undercroft of which was incorporated into the 18th century house.
House & Family History: Vice Admiral Sir Richard Brooke acquired the Augustinian Norton Priory during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and built a new house on the site that incorporated parts of the priory. When Norton Priory was demolished in 1928 the fittings (chimneypieces, doorcases, etc.) were removed from the House by Sir Richard Brooke, Bt., (whose family had owned the Estate for centuries) and re-installed at The Elms, Worcestershire, where they remain today.
John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 171, 1853.
John Preston (J.P.) Neale, published under the title of Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland, among other titles: 2.S. Vol. V, 1829.
Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume II: Herefordshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire
Author: Reid, Peter
Year Published: 1980
Reference: pg. 204
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - SOFTBACK
Author: Colvin, Howard
Year Published: 1995
Reference: pg. 1115
Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
Book Type: Softback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Sir Richard Brooke, 6th Bt., 18th-19th centures; Brooke family here from the 18th century until 1928.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No