Earlier Houses: An earlier house on the site was incorporated into the Salvin-designed house.
Built / Designed For: Daniel Gurney
House & Family History: North Runcton Hall was built to the designs of Anthony Salvin in 1835 for Daniel Gurney (1791-1880). Salvin extended an existing house on the site, creating a large house of 43 rooms. A record of life at North Runcton is provided by the diaries kept by Laura Troubridge (1853-1929). In October 1867, Laura, her two sisters and three brothers lost both parents within a few weeks and went to live with Daniel Gurney, who was their grandfather. Laura's diaries and later memoirs were edited by her daughter, Jaqueline Hope-Nicholson, under the title "Life Amongst the Troubridges," and describe their arrival at the House and life there until Laura left in 1880.
Architect: William Sawrey GilpinDate: 19th century
Architect: Anthony SalvinDate: 1835
Title: Burke's & Savills Guide to Country Houses, Volume III: East Anglia
Author: Kenworthy-Browne, John; Reid, Peter; Sayer, Michael; Watkin, David
Year Published: 1981
Publisher: London: Burke's Peerage
Book Type: Hardback
House Listed: Demolished
Park Listed: Destroyed
Past Seat / Home of: Gurney family, 1816-1948.
Current Ownership Type: Demolished
Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished
House Open to Public: No
Historic Houses Member: No