DiCamillo Companion

Newland House

  • House & Family History: Newland is an L-shaped house primarily of the 17th century, with earlier foundations. The House abuts Newland churchyard and was the seat of the Probyn family for centuries. J.H. Probyn added a new wing and installed lavish interiors in the 1740s. In 1813 Edmund Probyn sold the Estate to P.J. Ducarel, who engaged John Maddox to carry out alterations. In 1846 further alterations were made by William Price; later a third floor was added. All of the interior fittings, except the staircase, were removed and sold in November 1930. One of the best rooms -- the Drawing Room -- was sold intact to the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, where it remains today (see photos of the Drawing Room in the "Images" section). The MFA's room has a fireplace cheek (backplate) of iron stamped with the date of 1748. Newland was divided into flats in the late 20th century; in April 2011 the 10-bedroom house and 15 acres were sold for £2,175,000, after being listed for £2.4 million in 2010. On April 16, 2012 Newland was gutted by fire.

  • Architect: John Maddox

    Date: Circa 1813
    Designed: Alterations for P.J. Ducarel

    View all houses

    Architect: William Lake Price

    Date: 1846
    Designed: Alterations

    View all houses
  • Title: Country Houses of Gloucestershire: Volume Two, 1660-1830, The
    Author: Kingsley, Nicholas
    Year Published: 1992
    Publisher: Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd.
    ISBN: 0850338069
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Current Seat / Home of: Richard Pease

    Past Seat / Home of: J.H. Probyn, 18th century; Probyn family here from the 17th century until 1813. John Hopkins, 18th century (changed name to Probyn). P.J. Ducarel, 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Demolished

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Demolished

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No