DiCamillo Companion
England

Newland Hall (Newland Park) (Normanton Park)

  • Earlier Houses: The earlier building of the Hospitallers was demolished, probably in the 17th century.

    House & Family History: In the 12th century the Newland Hall Estate was a preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers (Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem), founded at the time of King John. Newland Hall was originally a building from whence the knights left to fight in the Crusades in the Holy Land. In the 19th century the Estate was mined for coal by Locke & Co., who named a mine St. John's Colliery (in reference to its medieval association). In 2000 the Newland Park Estate was purchased by farmer Andrew Hughes, who returned the Estate to a mix of agriculture and nature reserve. The Hall itself was demolished in 1920, though a number of outbuildings are extant.

  • Garden & Outbuildings: The Stables of 1745 were eventually converted into a house; they became derelict in the late 20th century.

  • Architect: Thomas Johnson

    Date: 1807-08
    Designed: Cottages and farm buildings for Sir Edward Smith

    View all houses
  • John Bernard (J.B.) Burke, published under the title of A Visitation of the Seats and Arms of the Noblemen and Gentlemen of Great Britain and Ireland, among other titles: Vol. II, p. 15, 1853.

  • Title: Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, A - HARDBACK
    Author: Colvin, Howard
    Year Published: 2008
    Reference: pg. 582
    Publisher: New Haven: Yale University Press
    ISBN: 9780300125085
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, The
    Author: Pevsner, Nikolaus; Radcliffe, Enid (Reviser)
    Year Published: 1967
    Publisher: London: Penguin Books
    ISBN: NA
    Book Type: Hardback

    Title: England's Lost Houses From the Archives of Country Life
    Author: Worsley, Giles
    Year Published: 2002
    Publisher: London: Aurum Press
    ISBN: 1854108204
    Book Type: Hardback

  • House Listed: Demolished

    Park Listed: Not Listed

  • Seat of: Andrew Hughes

    Past Seat of: Sir Edward Smith, early 19th century. William Locke, late 19th century.

    Current Ownership Type: Individual / Family Trust

    Primary Current Ownership Use: Private Home

    Ownership Details: The Hughes family live in outbuildings on the Estate.

  • House Open to Public: No

    Historic Houses Member: No